This is one of those posts that went around facebook – my friend tried it and said it was to die for – so of course, we had to have a go here! Oh WOW!! I now have a ton of chicken pieces at home specifically for this recipe. GREAT for entertaining – also great for an evening meal – as we had it. Also served it with Smashed Potatoes which I’ll put in another post – although you’ll see it in the pics here! I also used chicken drumettes.. figured it’s nice to have variety haha!
I did have to make a change, which some might find useful. I didn’t have the HOURS required to make this, so I baked it in a slightly quicker oven (160c) for 2 hours, rather than in the slow cooker. It only took a couple of minutes to prepare for the oven, placed on a flat tray on baking paper (makes it easier to clean!) and voila – out they came. The meat fell off the bone, succulent and delicious – SO moreish! I also used just a regular can of halved apricots. Didn’t cook a kg of the meat, so halved everything and it was perfect.
Recipe Link: Slow Cooker Apricot BBQ Chicken Wings
- 4 pounds chicken wing drumettes, frozen
- 1 18oz bottle BBQ sauce (or approx 2 cups)
- 1 C apricot preserves
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 TBS garlic powder
- 2 T worcestershire sauce
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all the sauces & spices. Remove about ½ cup of the mixture and refrigerate for later!
- Add the chicken wings to a large slow cooker, then cover with the sauce mixture. Stir until wings are well-coated. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Once done, set oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Remove wings from slow cooker and place on the lined baking sheet. Drizzle with some of the slow cooker sauce if desired. Broil for approximately 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven, flip wings, and brush wings with the remaining sauce mixture that you saved out.
- Return to oven and broil for an additional 3-5 minutes, until sauce starts to caramelize.
- Remove from oven and serve!